Monday, November 4, 2013

Halloween Costumes: King Cobra and Fireman!

Hello there!

I hope you all had a fabulous Halloween, with enough candy left over to get you through the dreaded and brutal time change...

Henry's costume was easy this year: he wanted to be a fireman, and we had the perfect costume ready to go in the dress-up basket. It was made by my mom a few years ago for my niece and it is awesome. We even had rain boots to match the jacket and helmet.

On the other hand, I had quite the Halloween sewing challenge this year, with Ben wanting to be a King Cobra snake. How do you make a person, with legs, look like a snake? I went into it a bit haphazardly, but I'm so happy with how his costume turned out, despite the legs!

Here are the boys on the way to school on Halloween morning:





I touched on inspiration for the costume in my previous Halloween post, and showed the "sketch" that Ben made me with his vision. Here are a few photos of the progress and construction, including my own sketch.







The main part of the costume is a simple fitted "poncho", or shell. There is Velcro on one of the shoulders, so Ben could take it on and off. The hood is attached to this shell. The hood is lined with a medium weight interfacing so it "flares" out on the sides like a proper Cobra head.

It took most of my Sunday to complete the shell with hood. At that point, I still had to make, stuff and attach the tail which took a few tries to get right (about an hour altogether). The last part of the construction was to tinker with both the hood and the tail to fit them properly on Ben's body. There was some hand-sewing involved, but minimal.

All in all, it was pretty much a one-day project. Not too bad! It is by far the best quality costume I've ever made. And it was quite the learning experience to sew with pleather (gold and light snake-skin) and stretchy denim (black snake-skin). I used 100% wool felt for the fangs and tongue, which made them very durable and unlikely to rip or tear.










And here's some Halloween cuteness, just because:



How was your Halloween? Did you have some costume-making successes? I'd love hear all about it. Please share links if you have them.




1 comment:

  1. The different costumes given in this post is really helpful for make it for our costume party. The costume party is very popular in this era. Thanks for sharing these costume designs with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...